Post Office Working Hours in India vary by circle and region because Post Offices provide a variety of services to their customers. As a result, each Post Office has a different opening and closing time. Except for holidays, most post offices are open Monday through Saturday.
In this post, you will find answers to frequently asked post office questions, such as Is the post office open on Saturday? Is the post office closed on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month? Is the post office open on the second Saturday of the month? etc
- 1 Indian Post Office Working Hours Timings
- 2 Post Office Workings Days And Operation Time-Table
- 3 Lunch Time at the India Post Office
- 4 Points To Notice About Indian Post Office Timings
- 5 Indian Post Office Working Hours
- 6 India Post Office Holidays
- 6.1 Is Saturday A Working Day For India Post Office?
- 6.2 Is The Post Office Open On The Second Saturday?
- 6.3 What Are The Working Days Of An India Post Office?
- 6.4 Is The India Post (Post Office) Open Or Closed on Saturdays The First, Second, Third, and Fourth?
- 6.5 Are The Post Offices Open Saturday?
- 6.6 Is the Postal Service open on Saturday?
- 6.7 What Time Do Post Offices In India Eat Lunch?
Indian Post Office Working Hours Timings
India’s postal department is divided into 16 postal circles. As a result, we cannot generalize Post Office Timing in all circles.
The official Post Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. However, the time it takes for the post office to open depends on what transaction you need to complete and where you are.
i.e., different post office services will have different opening and closing hours. For example, the service hours for Savings Bank and Savings Certificates are 9.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. The same Post Office, however, will have a different time for booking a registered letter or parcel (9.00 am to 6.00 pm).
Post Office Workings Days And Operation Time-Table
In India, post offices are open Monday through Saturday, excluding public holidays. In India, post offices are classified into the following categories.
- G.P.O. stands for General Post Office.
- H.P.O. stands for Head Post Office.
- M.D.G. stands for Mukhya Dak Ghar.
- R.M.S. stands for Railway Mail Services (Mail Offices)
Post Offices in cities are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or 09.30 a.m. to 05.30 p.m.
|Rural Post Office Hours: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.|
The time may vary depending on when the mail arrives (Depending on the Railway or State Transport Timing).
In India, some post offices are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Some R.M.S. Centers, for example, may operate at night (6 p.m. to 6 a.m.), depending on the timing of goods trains in that region. Despite the fact that Sunday is a holiday, some post offices (such as RMS and GPO) may be open.
Booking and service for public deals are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the head post office and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at sub-post offices.
Lunch Time at the India Post Office
Lunch at the Indian Post Office The passage of time varies from circle to circle. Employees take a break from their work during lunchtime. They eat their lunch and take a break. There is no activity at the post office at this time. We are requesting that people refrain from visiting any Indian Post Office during their lunch break. People who go during lunch have to wait. After lunch, the employees return to their jobs.
|Lunch Hours at the Indian Post Office: 1:30 p.m. to 2.30 p.m./2.30 p.m. to 3.30 p.m.|
Points To Notice About Indian Post Office Timings
- Post offices have the ideal combination of working hours and lunchtimes. (However, postal office working hours and lunchtime may differ depending on where you live.)
- On Sundays, the post offices are closed (But some RMS, and GPO may open depending on the Circle)
- Except on holidays, the post office is open on Saturdays (But some services may close at 12. p.m, other services may work till 2. pm, 4. p.m, or 6. pm).
- Aside from public holidays, the post office is closed on the remaining five days of the year, which varies by a circle.
- The post office is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays.
- Is the post office open on July 4th? Yes, the post office is open on the fourth Saturday of the month.
|Post Office Lunch Hours: 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
Indian Post Office Working Hours
Check below for India Post Office Working Hours/Timings
|Post Office Working Hours/Timings||Working Days|
|08 AM-04 PM|
10 AM-6 PM
09.30 AM-05.30 PM
|Monday To Saturday|
|Some General Post Offices and Postal Head Offices||08 AM-08 PM|
|Some Rural Post Offices||08:00 AM- 02:30 PM|
India Post Office Holidays
The following are some public and regional holidays:
|January 26||Republic Day|
|January 15||Makara Sankranti|
|April 06||Mahavir Jayanti|
|April 10||Good Friday|
|May 07||Buddha Pournima|
|August 15||Independence day|
|August 30 August 31||MuharramThiru Onam|
|October 2||Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti|
|October 25||Dussera (Vijay Dashmi)|
|November 14||Deepavali (Diwali)|
|November 30||Gurunanak Birthday|
With over 150,000 post offices in India, the Indian Post Office benefits and assists Indian citizens in a variety of ways. People use the post office to send and receive letters, money orders, parcels, and speed post articles, among other things. In India, all post offices are branches of the Postal Department. There was no post office in India back then, so people had to rely on messengers to send and receive messages. Letters and parcels can now be easily received and sent thanks to advancements in technology.
Some FAQs Related To India Post Office Workings Hours
Is Saturday A Working Day For India Post Office?
Yes, Saturday is a working day for the Indian Postal Service, but working hours are reduced on Saturday. Post Offices are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Saturday’s post office hours are the same as the rest of the week.
Is The Post Office Open On The Second Saturday?
Yes, except on a public holiday, the second Saturday is also a working day at the post office.
What Are The Working Days Of An India Post Office?
In general, the Indian Post Office is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. On public holidays and Sundays, the post office is closed.
Is The India Post (Post Office) Open Or Closed on Saturdays The First, Second, Third, and Fourth?
Saturday is a working day for India’s post offices. On Saturdays, however, they are only open until lunchtime (Till 1 p.m). However, all public and private sector banks are closed on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month.
Are The Post Offices Open Saturday?
No, post offices in India are closed on Sundays (But some RMS, GPO may open depending on the Circle).
Is the Postal Service open on Saturday?
Yes, Saturday is a working day for India’s post offices. However, the working hours may differ from those of other weekdays. So, if you’re going to the Post Office on Saturday, try to get there before 1 p.m.
What Time Do Post Offices In India Eat Lunch?
In general, post office lunch hours are from 01.30 p.m. to 02.30 p.m. Lunchtime may differ in different parts of India.